Wounded Warrior Project
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Emergency Financial Assistance Specialist - Jacksonville, FL
at Wounded Warrior Project
- Veterans Financial Assistance
The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Emergency Financial Assistance (EFA) Specialist serves as a case manager for wounded service members, providing personal assessments of the warrior’s financial needs at critical times in their lives, and connects them to internal and external financial resources, and provides guidance to help these warriors make better, informed decisions about their personal financial situations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Interview warriors and assess the warrior and family member financial situation and needs.
- Evaluate warrior and family member needs and triage requests.
- Determine whether the warriors needs are within policy guidelines for WWP assistance.
- Refer warriors and family members to appropriate WWP programs and community resources.
- Connect warriors and family members with assistance for emergent financial needs in high crisis, fast-paced cases.
- Interact and collaborate with community organization representatives, case workers, and other resources to identify short-term and long-term options to address warriors’ emergent financial needs.
- Maintain detailed and relevant records including case notes, interactions, reporting requirements, and other documentation requirements for emergency financial assistance cases.
- Coordinate with vendors and outside parties to provide warriors and their families with financial education e.g., financial education seminars and financial guidance.
- Document data in WWP system of record, e.g., Salesforce, to ensure data are tracked properly.
- Collect data and develop reports and briefings for leadership.
- Collaborate within the EFA team and across teams to coordinate referrals to other WWP programs and to provide continuous appropriate support to warriors.
- Conduct non-clinical assessments to ensure warriors’ needs are met appropriately.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of personal financial management principles.
- Demonstrated ability to identify ineffective money management behaviors.
- Ability to interact effectively with individuals and families from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds and build effective working relationships telephonically. Exceptional interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to crisis situations and sensitive matters with diplomacy and empathy.
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the unique needs of veterans and their family members and caregivers.
- Demonstrated understanding of military and veteran issues and military culture.
- Strong working understanding of WWP programs and other resources available for families and Warriors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and effectively complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated understanding of relationship management and partnering. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional relationships and create a diverse network of resources.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with veteran and civilian financial support organizations, social services, and legal personnel.
- Ability to identify risks and opportunities and communicate to management, and prioritize competing demands for resources.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency using Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- High energy level. Self-starter; willing to take initiative.
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, financial counseling or financial case management, or relevant field. Equivalent combination of education, experience, training, or certification may be considered in lieu of degree
- Three years of experience providing personal financial counseling.
- Three years of experience conducting interviews.
- Master’s degree in business or relevant field.
- Three years of experience working with military or veterans’ population in support of their readjustment and development.
Certifications & Licensure
- Certified Financial Health Counselor (CFHC) preferred.
- Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC) preferred.