Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Cowan Systems
Formed in 1924 Cowan Systems is a privately owned company head quartered in Baltimore, MD and enjoys a history of excellence and quality in the transportation business. Today, Cowan’s state-of-the-art fleet has grown to 2,100 power units and 4,500 trailers operating out of 40 locations nationwide.
Due to continued growth, Cowan Systems, LLC is seeking the top talent in the industry to join our team.
Cowan Systems, LLC is a National truckload carrier that specializes in providing high quality dedicated fleet services for companies requiring first-rate performance. Cowan Systems offers dedicated fleet services which provide a customized transportation package designed to meet the specific needs of the shipper; such as specialized equipment, strict timetables and custom reporting. Our 100% supply chain solution includes local and long haul trucking services, brokerage, warehousing, and driver leasing.
Our recipe for success has always been our people, and after 90 years in business, we remain focused on attracting and retaining superior talent. We strive to recruit the most qualified people, while recognizing and encouraging the value of diversity in the workplace. Cowan hires professionals with the aptitude and personality to consistently exceed our customers’ expectations. We take great pride in our ability to provide progressive business partnerships within the rapidly evolving transportation industry.
Cowan is committed to providing a healthy, safe, and stable work environment that promotes individual success, equal opportunity for learning, and professional growth. In our family oriented environment, we treat everyone with dignity and respect. Through the emphasis of our team-work philosophy, we maintain a balance between professionalism and the ability to have fun.
At Cowan Systems, LLC our mission is to provide logistics and transportation services that create value for our clients, suppliers, employees and owners. We pursue our work with diligence, intelligence and a high regard for the safety of our employees, stakeholders and the general public.
Cowan Systems is an industry leader and the carrier of choice because of our passion for service, best in class drivers, professional management team, commitment to safety, drive for innovation, and our culture of continuous improvement and quality excellence.
- Safety of our team drives every decision we make
- An entrepreneurial spirit fostered by healthy work environments
- Fiscal responsibility
- Exceptional Customer service
The Terminal Manager is responsible for the development, growth, overall success, and profitability of their assigned operation. This is a leadership position that reports to the Regional Director. The Terminal Manager will facilitate; problem identification, solution recognition, and system implementation to improve areas that hinder account profitability and growth. The Terminal Manager will provide structure in their operation and develop a culture that ensures their team works together in a way that supports the mission of the organization and is in alignment with our core values and beliefs.
Direct and indirect reports consisting of Operations Managers, Planners, Fleet Managers, Dispatchers Support Staff, and Professional Drivers.
- Effectively implement strategies for hiring, onboarding, training, performance management, utilization, satisfaction, and retention of our professional driver force in coordination with programs established by our Driver Recruiting and Retention team.
- Communicate and enforce compliance of all company policies and procedures, safety rules, hours of service, personal protective equipment requirements, and all local, state, federal government regulations.
- Properly manages risk by taking an active role in driver safety and compliance in coordination with the Driver Safety and Compliance team to monitors driver safety performance, set goals, take proactive measures, develop action plans for improvement, and create a positive culture of safety in all daily activities.
- Ensure drivers have completed required and periodic company training to include; safety training, equipment training, driver training, process and procedure training, DOT training, OSHA training, and other industry regulation compliance training.
- Manage day to day operations and foster positive customer and carrier relations to retain and grow current business by ensuring expectations and our commitments are always met or exceeded.
- Accountable for interaction with the customer on an ongoing basis regarding customer reviews, continuous improvement activities, demand forecasting, and KPI reporting.
- Oversee operational planning to ensure maximizing revenue through optimum driver utilization and coordination of freight to fill empty lanes through other company freight, market freight, and working with our sales and brokerage teams to develop additional business opportunities and customers for your terminal.
- Manage and react to day-to-day operational requirements in a professional and timely manner utilizing company reports, dashboards, scorecards, published KPI, and feedback from customers, employees, and management effectively.
- Working with our billing, payroll, and finance team review and analyze billing, payroll, revenue, expenses, and operational reports to determine opportunities for increasing profitability through operations excellence, asset utilization and cost controls.
- Coordinate with Maintenance and Asset Management team to ensure compliance with established maintenance schedules, mileage and trade cycles, planned and unplanned repairs, and expense controls.
- Maintain, track, and report appropriate equipment levels daily at all customer locations, making adjustments where necessary to ensure optimum equipment utilization.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate office staffing levels by hiring, training, and providing leadership for the development of personnel via corporate training, internal cross-training, goal setting, mentoring, performance management, and recognition.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- 5 years industry experience and a proven track record with 3 years managing direct reports
- Degree in Transportation, Logistics, Management, or Business preferred
- Proven experience with successful driver management and retention methods
- P&L management and reporting experience and strong organizational background
- Computer applications experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- TMS experience required. TMW preferred
- Extensive knowledge of DOT, OSHA and related safety regulations
- Excellent customer service, problem solving, and decision making skills
- Must be punctual and reliable with the ability to work off hours as dictated by the business
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of all terminal operation aspects
- Monthly travel may be required as dictated by the customer/business
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer keyboard, and speak on the telephone. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
- Customer Focused: Passionate drive to meet the needs of our customers and offer unique solutions that deliver on their expectations
- The ability to motivate and lead both the drivers and dispatch personnel to meet and exceed the customers’ expectations and the goals of the company
- Self-starter willing to quickly adapt, prioritize, and organize. Ability to manage a process from start to finish
- Ability to set clear expectations and work with others to accomplish specific goals
- Effective and professional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Judgement and decision making considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate action
- Complex problem solving and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Superior communication to include speaking, active listening and conveying information effectively
- Monitoring/assessing performance of self and other individuals to make improvements or implement corrective action