City of Jacksonville (FL)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Systems Engineer - Information Technologies
at City of Jacksonville (FL)
Job Reference #: 2396021
Overall Job Objective
- Job Description
The Systems Engineer Senior reports to the Server Infrastructure Manager and is an advanced technical position. The incumbent is responsible for implementation, configuration, upgrade, monitoring, troubleshooting, and administration of the City of Jacksonville mission critical server technology software and hardware infrastructure.
- Examples of Work
- Participates in long-range enterprise technical planning by providing consultative direction, recommendations and authoritative engineering judgment in the decision making process for future efforts.
- Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced / non-senior infrastructure team members and may have supervisory responsibility.
- May serve as a technical team or task lead.
- Serves as subject matter expert for IT projects, products and services.
- Develops standard operating procedures.
- Manages the services, products, and infrastructure to include current and prior versions of active directory, EMC storage area networks (SAN), VMware virtualization, Microsoft Windows Server and Unix OS platforms, Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Microsoft Systems Center Operations Manager (SCOM), Diskeeper defragmentation, Citrix client remote access, F5 software load balancing, Microsoft Exchange, Symantec file and email archiving, WatchGuard firewall and email/spam filtering, Webtrends web analytics, Symantec Netbackup, patch management, backend-technology for Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) and in-house developed applications, and cloud based solutions.
- Operates personal computer including word, spreadsheet, database, and other related software to include Visio.
- Works closely with Enterprise Architects and System Architects, and business units to assist with the design of infrastructure solutions to meet business requirements. The incumbent will have both leadership and technical skills to effectively and efficiently communicate technical terms and direction in a way that is easily understood by IT staff and business customers.
- Integrates monitoring and configuration services as appropriate, (SCCM, SCOM, etc.)
- Creates and implements simple to complex scripted solutions for various operational support.
- Implements and configures hardware, system software, and business software.
- Documents product implementation and upgrade steps in easy-to-follow instructions, and creates necessary technical design documents.
- Conducts proactive maintenance of IT infrastructure with no supervision including maintaining high level of systems availability, monitoring systems performance and reliability to mitigate outages and system interruptions, managing tools for providing early warning and alerts, and monitoring system capacity utilization and taking proactive steps to avoid over utilization.
- Works with vendors to resolve system outages, advanced technical hardware and software issues.
- Serves as escalation point for critical and complex issues from junior team members.
- Diagnoses and resolves advanced technical issues, conducts root cause analysis, demonstrates consistent level of accuracy with problem resolution.
- Performs firmware and operating systems upgrades and patches.
- Performs backups and restores of customer data.
- Configures, tests and pilots deployment of new technologies and solutions.
- Participate in disaster recovery tests and planning.
- Responds to and resolves assigned tickets and requests.
- After hours work as required.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville's competencies.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
- A nine (9) year combination of education and/or experience in information technology
- Must include at least five (5) years of experience in the systems engineer role or equivalent server infrastructure role.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in IT, Computer Science, or related field preferred.
- Depending upon assignment, may be required to obtain specialized certifications.
- A valid state Driver's License is required prior to application and must be maintained
- Must qualify prior to application, obtain and maintain during employment a City of Jacksonville Public Driver Certification
Within 90 days of appointment date to classification, acquire and maintain the appropriate level of Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) certification which corresponds to the job responsibilities. The level will be determined by current CJIS guidelines and may change periodically. Certification is obtained by successfully completing web-based training courses which cover physical security, incident response, the protection of information and other IT specific security threats, vulnerabilities and risks.
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net/jobs. NEOGOV works best with Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer version 11 or higher browsers. Please try to apply using one of these browsers. You may have to cut and paste the link into the browser's search area. Be sure to add coj.net to your address book to ensure you receive email notifications. You may also check your application status at any time by logging into your account.
If claiming veteran's preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. You must also attach the Veterans Preference Certification Form and if applicable, the additional forms as noted here: http://www.coj.net/departments/employee-services/veterans-preference
If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran's preference, he or she may file an email complaint or written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Preference Coordinator
11351 Ulmerton Road, Suite 311
Largo, FL 33778-1630